Sunday, May 6, 2012

We’re Are Ugly But We Have The Music

Can you see the lonliness in Andersen's eyes and the passion in his lips? He is ugly but ( as Leonard Cohen wrote http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGfgMYfdBFc ) he's got the music

Just been re-visiting Susan Boyle’s emotionally-charged Britain’s Got Talent debut on YouTube and immediately thought of Hans Christian Andersen.

The Danish wordsmith didn’t write The Ugly Duckling by accident, but rather to reflect his own inadequacy, which was really his lack of success in the relationship department.

Without love it is questionable that there is life.

He wasn’t quite as good looking as Danny Kaye  in the 1952 bio-pic Hans Christian Andersen (although Kaye was no Cary Grant).

He fell in love with women whom he couldn’t possible have – makes me think of Lorenz Hart of Rodgers and Hart fame- including the Swedish songbird Jenny Lind.

Andersen once wrote: “Give me a bride, my blood wants love, as my heart does.”

There’s a story that Andersen wrote to Lind asking for her hand and she replied: “God bless and protect my brother, (which ) is the sincere wish of his affectionate sister.”

What spotty young awkward fellow hasn’t heard the line: “I like you as a person but…..?”

There’s another story – I hope fabricated – that Andersen was married , but for only for  two days, as his wife couldn’t face the bedroom encounter.

As the Lorenz Hart wrote in his Glad To Be Unhappy lyric: Unrequited Love’s A Bore.

I’d rather be a husband and a father and a grandfather than a genius, but life only gives us so much choice.  Fortunately, life has given me family. Thank you.

1 comment:

  1. I like the Susan Boyle, Hans Christian Anderson, Leonard Cohen 'Chelsea Hotel' chain of thought. There are some great lines in Chelsea Hotel.

    'I need you, I don’t need you, and all of that jiving around...'

    'the ones like us who are oppressed by the figures of beauty'

    I enjoyed looking at the short video piece on ABC website about the male Aboriginal pole dancer. Plays around with a lot of stereotypes.

    Daryll

    ReplyDelete